Friday, July 18, 2014

Strange issue in Monitoring status after OS deployment

Last months I did a lot of ConfigMgr 2012 R2 implementations. Nothing to worry about if you ask me, except for a few things. When doing a lot of OS deployments (on Windows 7 SP1), the Monitoring status is not as it should be. Let me explain what I'm seeing. When doing deployments (task sequence), I recommend to have a look at Monitoring (deployment) status. There you have a good overview of progress on al kind of deployments. More about that can be found here: OS deployment monitoring in ConfigMgr 2012 R2.

Within last months (never seen it before actually) deployments are not Always successful. You will see the following lines in Status Message Viewer (for a specific system):
-11171: The task sequence manager successfully completed execution of the task sequence.
-10804: The ConfigMgr client was reassigned. The previous site code was "". The new site code is "###". (few minutes later)
-10018: Deployment "########" from site "###" was rejected because the client's platform is not supported. (few minutes later)


 
What happens is that after a successful deployment (which is Message ID 11171) another deployment is starting (?) for it seems, and this is generating a rejected deployment (which is Message ID 10018). So it's succesful, and then it's rejected afterwards? Therefore no successful status message is displayed in ConfigMgr console anymore. At one customer this is the case on ALL (re-)deployments on systems. At another customer this happens to 1 on 10 systems, at both new deployments and re-deployments.

At the moment I have contacted Microsoft support for this. They are still investigating the issue, so hope I have more information soon. When anyone recognizes above issue, I kindly like to hear more about it. Maybe it's a bug, but I don't know at the moment..

Some people saying (Microsoft support included) I must change task sequence properties to support all platforms. When looking at the issue this may be the case. Strang thing is I never change this option, so it's on "Run on any platform" as Always. Hope that anyone can tell me how to solve this! Otherwise MS will tell me soon hopefully ;)

Update 8-9-2014: As mentioned by Microsoft and Robert Kloek in comments, a workaround can be used to get the job done. Just deploy the task sequence to "ConfigMgr clients, Media and PXE" instead of using "Media and PXE only". That way a successful message is showed in the end, and not the "Requirements not met" message. This seems to be a change to me, but it helps for sure!

7 comments:

  1. Hello Henk, we do have the same problem after upgrading to SCCM 2012 R2. At first we though it was a Configuration Manager Client issue, but it seems that the client is installed anyway. We also contacted Microsoft but still no solution.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Henk, we have solved the problem. In our case the issue was in the boot images. The boot images connected to our TS were corrupted. (possible by editing the boot image outsite SCCM). We connected the latest boot images (6.3.9600.16384) and the problem was solved.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Dirk-Jan, thanks for the comment. Did you never get the issue back after connecting the latest boot images?

      Delete
  3. Hello Henk. I am seeing the same behaviour in my SCCM environment. It just started in the last month and it has me baffled. Not a lot of information about it from what I can tell. Did you ever get to the bottom of the issue, or did Microsoft have any input on the matter?

    Thanks for you time in advance. Great Blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Robbie, Thanks for comment and support. This week I'm doing research on the issue again. Hope to have a working solution soon..

      Delete
  4. Hello Henk. I have had contact with Microsoft and an engineer told me what this means. The status message is misleading !! It has nothing to do with the OS (as mentioned in the solution in the status message).
    You can find the solution in the properties of a deployment for a TS. If you click the properties and go to the "Deployment Settings" tab, you will see a part called "Make available to the following". In our case we have chosen for "Only media and PXE". So what happens: You're running a TS and everything will go well. At a certain moment the Configuration Manager Client will run some cycles and your client will see which packages/applications are available. But it will also notice that a TS is available for his collection (in our case All systems). The TS is available for its collection but since we choose "Only media and PXE" it is NOT available in Configuration Manager Client. So it will give you the warning "Rejected because the client's platform is not supported. Platform means in this case: the kind of media that a task sequence is available for. So just what the engineer told me; the status message is misleading!
    You can test this by making a new simple task sequence. So, just a task sequence with a boot image, nothing more. Than deploy it to a collection which has a device in it. Simple open a status message view for the machine and wait. At a sudden moment you will see the warning with the package ID of the TS you just made....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Robert. Nice to read this comment from you. I did have contact with Microsoft myself also, and they told me a bit of the same. They told me to change deployment properties from "Only Media and PXE" to "ConfigMgr clients, Media and PXE". Nice thing is no misleading error message (Requirements Not Met) is there anymore with the new deployment. Downside is I don't want to deploy to already known ConfigMgr clients, only to Media and PXE. I cannot remember I have this functionality before ConfigMgr 2012 R2, so maybe it's a change which has been made in R2 probably? In my other ConfigMgr installations, I'm always choosing the "Only Media and PXE" on OS deployments. Why I must choose the other "ConfigMgr clients, Media and PXE" now, is not what I prefer, but seems to be a workaround..

      Delete